We bring a writer & editor’s perspective to web building. Clarity, simplicity, and effective communication above all. As a writer and editor with over 35 years of experience, Chris Hill can help organizations articulate and communicate their values and information effectively.
Over a decade of experience with database and online tool development. Have built a wide range of complex, interactive online tools that are easy to use on the front end.
Experts at community building online. Have developed dozens of sites with community-building tools and features, from discussion forums, email newsletters and blogs to facilitating reader input through online forms, contests, polls and surveys.
Specialize in empowering clients to take control of their own web sites.
Have built dozens of sites with easy-to-use content management systems that allow organizations and businesses to keep their sites updated and active.
We specialize in working with nonprofits and other organizations and businesses driven by values. As someone who has worked and served within the nonprofit world, Chris Hill understands the contraints and challenges, and is flexible in adapting to changing circumstances, leadership and needs.
Chris Hill is a trained interviewer and an excellent listener who can help clients clarify their needs and goals.
We’re creative. We do our research. And we’re not afraid to recommend alternative approaches we think will better serve our clients.
SEO-Friendly Sites: Search engine optimization
There are no great secrets to increasing visibility and presence on the web, and to improving your search engine rankings (see below). And now, with new tools available through WordPress plug-ins, SEO optimization is even easier and more effective.
- You must use language on your web site, in prominent places, that features the terms and phrases you expect people to use when searching for your site. (The higher up on the site, and the bolder the type, the better your search engine ranking for that term will be.)
- You must name your pages so that they incorporate key words
- You must update your site frequently.
- You must insure that other sites link to your site (this is an important factor that search engines use when weighting the value of your site).
- You must drive traffic to your site through traditional means: press releases that always mention the web site; business cards with the web site featured; e-newsletters that drive people back to your site; and printed mailings that always feature your web site prominently.
I make sure that all of my web sites, and all of my clients, follow these basic rules, and it pays off in increased traffic and better search engine rankings. In addition, we insure that an internal site map is updated regularly, and that the site is registered with the major search engines.